Monday, March 18, 2013

My PAEMST AQ: Asked Questions. Part 1

An accomplished PAEMST applicant emailed me a few question about the application. I decided to post the questions and my answers here. I hope the applicant doesn't mind. Since these were only asked once, it seemed wrong to label these gems as FAQs.

Remember: any advice given here is guaranteed or double your money back.

1. It looks I am supposed to upload all the recommendation letters myself - meaning that I will be able to see them, right? In other words, they are not supposed to be confidential (secret) from me?
Correct! I scanned my letters and sent them as JPEGs. The ye olde vestige of olden times is that the letters must be signed, and we're not so clever about digital signatures. So while the letters are likely in MS Word, the uploaded file must essentially be a picture of the letter, complete with a scribbly signature. Someday we'll look back on this old-fashionedness and laugh. In any case; the people writing for you are your team. There should be nothing but positives in the letters.

2. I know at least one letter must come from a "district official" - department chair OK? Also: do you think it's better to get the remaining letters from school-related people or from the outside-the-system people?
I interpreted the "district official" as being an evaluating administrator. Someone who has an obligation to observe you professionally and evaluate your work as a teacher. I see department chairs more as colleagues (equals). I might be drinking buddies with my department chair. I'll never be drinking buddies with my evaluator. And that—oddly enough—adds potency to the evaluator's letter!

3. Do you think it's OK to ask a parent of a current student for a letter? I have taught ... other siblings who have all graduated. The last one is a senior, a brilliant straight-A kid who has been admitted to ... - but still, do you think it's a conflict of interest to ask his parent for such a letter?
I don't see anything wrong with having the parent of a current student write a letter. I had a letter from a former student who was soon to become a physics teacher, herself. I also had a letter from Paul Hewitt. I think there are many paths to enlightenment as far as the letters of recommendation are concerned.

I should hasten to add the the video lesson and corresponding written response are what will be evaluated with the greatest weight and greatest scrutiny. My NSF-generated "grades" are posted elsewhere in this blog; take a look at them at some point.

I am hugely grateful to my recommenders. They were kinder to me than I would be to myself. But in the end, The Lesson's The Thing.

4. Any tips about the video? Do you think it should focus on me? or the kids? where should I place the camera? Also: what if some kids don't want to be taped - I just move them?
The evaluating committees want to see your lesson. And they want to see student faces. I had a video-savvy student work the camera. He did a great job meeting the specification, but the end product is hard to watch unless you've dosed up on Dramamine. The video is posted elsewhere in this blog. I secured written permission from my students. But for those students who are in the Witness Protection Program, you should be able to confine them to a safe corner (camera shadow).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.