Wednesday, August 15, 2012

University of Michigan Physics

I shared my PAEMST news with a pair of Michigan physics professors who were favorites of mine during my years at Michigan. Both Jean Krisch and David Gidley offered kind congratulations. Dr. Krisch taught me Advanced Mechanics in a manner superior to my capacity to learn it. She rehearsed her lessons in advance to make sure the timing and pacing worked out. Dr. Gidley tolerated my creativity, antics, and wisecracks in the Advanced Optics lab course. The news made it to the department's news page.

Physics Alumnus Dean Baird Honored with Presidential Mathematics and Science Teaching Award

I did not set the river on fire at Michigan. But even when I struggled with the physics, I always thought it profoundly groovy and worthy of the effort.

I felt more of a connection to the Physics Department than to the School of Education, even though my degree (Bachelor of Science in Education with a Physics Major and a Mathematics Minor) was issued by the School of Ed.

When I moved to Sacramento, I lost my university connections across the miles. I'm delighted that Jean Krisch and David Gidley are still at Michigan so they could see that a struggling student from the mid-'80s turned out OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.